Flash Reviews – Books That Weren’t For Me

I’ve been gearing up myself to do this for a long, long time. Over the past couple of weeks I read some books that didn’t really speak to me, and since I don’t have much to say about them, I figured I’d do a combined post for them.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for ARCs in exchange for an honest review.

Peregrine Harker and The Black Death by Luke Holland:

After reading Inferno, I was curious about The Black Plague. Number one reason why I was  interested in this title. Number two was because the cover was so steam-punky.

Reasons why I didn’t like it much:

1) The characters weren’t fleshed out really well. Peregrine came off sounding much older than a 15 year old and he seemed really one dimensional. For an investigative journalist, he sure was very dismissive of so many suspicious activities. It was more like he was willing to just let everything slide. The only character I liked was Louisa, who was one kick-ass heroine.

2) It was too fast-paced, too much was happening, and there were many loop-holes in the plot (a champion boxer defeated by a novice, really?)

3) Cheesy, long-winded dialogues.

 “This is no laughing matter, Harker. You see, during the past few weeks, the keen-eyed of us, have been noticing tea prices shooting sky-high. If they continue to rise at this rate it won’t be long before the tea pots of the British Empire are dry.” 

Uh, what?

This isn’t to say that the book isn’t good at all, I think it would be better suited to people younger than I am. Parts of it were genuinely funny, and it did hold my interest for a little while.

 The She-Hulk Diaries by Marta Acosta:

  Look at the cover. Just look at it. I don’t think I’ve seen such a good cover in a long time. I wish I could say the same about the book too. But no, sadly.

 I might not read a lot of Marvel, but I definitely like it. I had high hopes for this book because how can She-Hulk not be awesome? Meh.

 I had a hard time completing this.

 The book lacked the flowing quality. It was almost as if parts were chopped off and simply omitted.

 I think it would have been better if it hadn’t been written in the style of a diary.

 Most of the characters felt really superficial. As if they didn’t have much mettle and lacked the get-up-and-go quality.

 Don’t get me wrong, this book has a lot of potential, and if you’re a She-Hulk fan, or someone who enjoys diary- entry style narratives, there’s a good chance you’ll like it. It just didn’t work for me.

 I might try and read this again.

A Fatal Likeness by Lynn Shephard:

 I usually love Historical Fiction. Add writers and poets into the mix and there is a 97% chance that I’m going to enjoy the book. This, however fell in the 3% category.

In 1850 London, detective Charles Maddox has a new case. His client just happens to be the only surviving son and child of the long-dead poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, and his wife Mary, author of the well-known horror novel, Frankenstein.

The plot is extremely intriguing but the narrative is so dull that it took me ages to finish this book. It could have been interesting if the author had not not deviated into sub-plots and asides, only to retract back in the next chapter.

I’m surprised that the author, having put so much effort into research, did not think that a little change in writing style would make this book phenomenally good.

Multi-layered stories with twist upon twist do not make for fun reads when you think you have a grasp on the complexities at one point and in the next moment, you don’t.

Read only if you’re into the Romantics and don’t mind heavy research based novels.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s